I feel that hugs are forgotten all too often in our busy modern world and taken advantage of. For sure by me, so, of course it must be true for many others. Right?
It’s a very good thing my husband is such a good hugger and hand-holder, he literally keeps the good vibes flowing around here and reminds me to do so too! I more easily than him, get caught up in the “to do’s” of the modern world. He quite often stops me, gives me a hug to help me breath deeper, calmer and to reconnect, then we go on about our day again. It helps so much.
So, here is a quick and easy reminder as to WHY hugs are so important and HOW to improve the hugs you give to your loved ones.
“It’s like an emotional Heimlich (maneuver). Someone puts their arms around you and they give you a squeeze and all your fear and anxiety come shooting out of your mouth in a big wet wad and you can breathe again.” Chuck Charles, Pushing Daisies
WHY Hugs are so Important:
Do you know that hugs?……….
- Reduce stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Boost our moods in positive ways with mood boosting bonding chemicals in our body, oxytocin and serotonin
- Help couples be happier in their relationships with just a simple four hugs a day (at least six seconds each)
- Babies who are hugged show more physical and brain power development
- Hugging trees multiplies our natural cancer-killer cells, improves mood, promotes well-being, reduces anger and provides a natural healing effect. (OMG, did you read that and actually TAKE IT IN? Hugging trees FIGHTS CANCER!)
“Children who get a sustained form of touching, such as one hug every day are smarter.” Jay Gordon, M.D., co-author of “Brighter Baby”
“I will not play at tug o’ war
I’d rather play at hug o’ war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs….”
HOW to improve the hugs you give to your loved ones
It is so easy to improve the Love that comes from your hugs. Put some INTENTION into your hugs! Here are a couple of tips on how to give a Reiki hug.
- Find someone to hug (Ok, now what?)
- Convince them that a hug is a good thing and GIVE the hug (If you have not hugged them in a while, the convincing may take a little more work, it’s worth it! Be patient and do not give up!)
- Sustain the hug slightly longer than usual
- While hugging, hold the intention that the Reiki flows out your hand chakras AND your heart chakra and into the person you are hugging. (As a beginner to Reiki hugging it may be best to start with one person at a time, then move up to more later, it’s your call.)
- It may help to visualize a loving color, such as pink or green for the heart chakra.
- Or visualize a shape or an item, like a heart shape, a red box of chocolates or a fuzzy kitten to help lighten your energy, mood and feelings towards the person you are hugging. (This helps if this is a person who maybe you’ve had an argument with or difficulties of some sort. Yes, hug our enemies too, especially our enemies.)
- or Chant a phrase that helps such as, “Love, love is flowing out my hands, love, love.”
- Continue running the loving Reiki energy as long as the hug continues.
- Reiki symbols – If you have Reiki symbols because you are a Reiki II and above you may use any of the blessing symbols to add blessings from Divine to your hug. This really packs a punch. (It is always acceptable to give Reiki blessings even without permission. If the soul you are hugging does not want the blessings they will simply go to someone who wants them!)
- Practice giving Reiki hugs as often as you can and see if you and your relationships become more loving. See if your friends and family want to be around you more often. See if your kids do not hug you more easily and for longer. It has worked with my kids, it can work with yours too.
- Comment here if this works for you.
Now you may want some ideas as to WHO to give Reiki hugs to. I say everyone!! But here are some ideas and WHY.
- Obviously your family would be the best place to start, significant other, children, grandparents. Children don’t want lectures, they want hugs. I have found this out the hard way. (How wonderful for your children to SEE you and your spouse hugging regularly. What a wonderful mirror of a loving relationship for your family!)
- Pets, our pet friends soak up much of our emotions in them trying to help us be happier and more balanced people on earth. Lets take some of that burden off of them with a Reiki hug.
- Anyone who is in pain, emotional, physical or other. This can lift their spirits and help them cope with the pain better, especially with Reiki blessings. (Please do not use other symbols unless you have their permission first)
- Trees and plants - Lets be Tree Huggers!! They fight cancer for you AND it just FEELS good to hug a tree. (How do I know? I DO IT REGULARLY!! I am an admitted Tree Hugger!)
- Other Reiki friends, lets spread the Love and Light through Reiki hugs. What better way to practice and perfect your Reiki hug than to practice on other Reiki community members. Come to circle and lets practice our Reiki hugs!!
- The elderly, we sometimes forget how much touch heals, one can heal down to the soul with a good hug. What a beautiful gift to give and receive.
- Our enemies, or more like people you’ve had differences with. They probably need a Reiki hug really badly. (See if you can’t turn an enemy into a friend again with a Reiki hug)
- Rocks and crystals – I know, I’m a little loopy when it comes to my healing stones, but I really do love them. I regularly sit and hold my rocks and crystals to let them know how much I appreciate their healing gifts that they lend to me. Then I give them a Reiki hug, a cleansing and an energizing too. I have very happy rocks!
- Anyone else you can think of to hug? Please comment here on WHO YOU ARE GOING TO PRACTICE YOUR REIKI HUG ON!! Watch out, it’s contagious!
“Arm ourselves for war? No! All the arms we need are for hugging.” ~Author Unknown
A special Thank You to my Reiki and Stones and Crystals teacher, Jade Elizabeth for sharing this idea with me many years ago. She gives GREAT Reiki hugs!!